Transition and adapter leading up to the capsule. I used a BNC-60AK from Semroc, same cone as the Estes K-41 Mercury Redstone. I sanded the Redstone adapter ring off to make it match up to the Atlas. The paper capsule wrap in the picture is just a mock-up. I used 1/12 dowels Continue Reading
I used the same method for the fairing shrouds that I used on my BT-80 Saturn V using body tube. Semroc’s BT-58 turned out to have the perfect radius. And I started adding some of the corrugated details using corrugated plastic sheet material.
For a second time, I’m reviving a project I started some time ago. I’ve wanted a Mercury Atlas, so I decided to scratch build one around a BT-80. It seems like the perfect size and I’ve configured the motor mount for a 24mm D engine. I started by cutting the two specialized Continue Reading
I have too many rockets that I’ve built and just never painted. So I’m trying to rectify that.
I still have a little more to do. This is about a 1.6X upscale of the Estes Colonial Viper. Main tubes are BT-60. I offset the 24mm motor mount, I remember the the original I had as a kid tended to arch over and my research supports that memory, so Continue Reading
This was a really quick build, the Estes Fin Alignment Guide helped make quick work of the 12 fins. I bought this as an open kit, it was missing the fin sheets, but Semroc to the rescue! The long ST-8 was a little roughed up on one end, but the Continue Reading