After a number of failed attempts, I finally got this to print out good enough for me. Some sanding to clean it up and smooth it out some, and it should be go for gluing the top on and primer.
Making real progress now, it’s starting to come together. I’m basically following the Estes plans. I epoxied all 6 fins on. I took my time I did them one at a time to make sure they went on straight, which was easy, as Leo did an excellent job on getting Continue Reading
Put the motor mount together. 24mm, I figure if I conclude the E12 won’t lift it, there are 24mm composite options, like the E30. And if I crash it, I might be unhappy, but I can always build another. Since it might fly with an E30, I used a heavy Continue Reading
To help with adhesion of the fins to the body tube with epoxy, I am drilling small holes in the back. To ensure I don’t accidentally drill through the front of the fin I am using my drill press so I can control the depth.
Now 10 years later arrives 3D printing. Time to make a new nose cone, with improvements. I’ve added in some new details for the upper fins, and I made them larger.
An employee of mine was stationed with the Pershing II for a short period. Knowing I build model rockets he challenged me to build one. I had a hard time finding data on it too. But I did finally find the Pershing II Technical Manual online. Page 116 of the Continue Reading
About 10 Years ago I built a Pershing II based on the Estes BT-80 body tube. I launched the Pershing II on a D12-3 for the first time. It was a bitter sweet launch. Perfect launch and it went up straight as an arrow. Chute deployed fine, but the wind Continue Reading
I revised the fin can adding in some detail at the bottom of the fins, and added the wedge shaped coupling connectors.
I figured out the problem with the nose cone. It was a two part issue, while some of the polygons appear to be properly touching in Tinkercad, they really were not, there was a tiny gap. The second issue was a mistake I made in Tinkercad for the wall thickness, Continue Reading
While I was searching for the Mercury Redstone scale date, I was reminded of the US Army Redstone Missile. I used the scale data I came across and created a 3D model of a nose cone in the same 1:52 scale for an ST-16/BT-56 tube size. I printed a test Continue Reading